Received a call few days ago from my client saying that their PC now load “XP Antivirus Protection” whenever windows start. I’ve no idea what “XP Antivirus Protection” is at that moment. After googling for while, i found out this “XP Antivirus Protection” is another “AntiSpywareShield” or “virprotect” a like software. Generally speaking this “XP Antivirus Protection” is a fake anti virus software.
So, to remove “XP Antivirus Protection” you need to go thru the steps below:-
- Go to Start -> Run -> type “cmd” and enter
- Go to the command prompt and enter this 2 command “regsvr32 /u shlwapi.dll” and “regsvr32 /u wininet.dll” to unregister the dll
- Right Click on your taskbar and select “Task Manager” and go to “Processes” tab
- Look for XPAntivirus.exe and XPAntivirusUpdate.exe then right click on it and click on “End Process” one by one.
You must make sure there is no more XPAntivirus.exe and XPAntivirusUpdate.exe process running
- Now u go to Start -> Search or Start -> Search -> For Files or Folders
- Then type the word below one by one at the “All or part of the filename” and click Search, if the file is found, right click on the file and click Delete:-
- XP antivirus
- XP Antivirus 2008.lnk
- XPAntivirus on the Web.lnk
- Uninstall XP Antivirus 2008.lnk
- Uninstall XPAntivirus.lnk
- Once u finish remove all the files above, you now go to Start -> Run and type regedit and enter
- Go to “HKEY_USERS\Software\” and delete “XP antivirus“
- Now restart your system. The “XP Antivirus Protection” is now removed!