This post is dedicated for my friends who always ask me how to configure Thunderbird for IMAP email. Just follow the steps below and you will be able to receive your email using Thunderbird.
To configure Thunderbird for IMAP email, follow the steps below:-
- Start your Thunderbird email client
- Click on File -> New -> Account, then Account Wizard will popup
- Select Email Account and Next
- Fill in your name and Email Address and Next
- Select IMAP for incoming server type
- Fill in your Incoming server (most of the time this will be mail.yourdomain.com) then click on Next
- Fill in your Incoming User Name (normally this will be your email address) and Next
- Give this account a Name and Click Next and Finish
- Now click on Get Mail, and Thunderbird will prompt you for login
- After login, Thunderbird will start to list your email from server.
Now you can start reading your email using Thunderbird instead of using webmail from CPanel or other hosting control panel.
Please take note if you use IMAP to read your mail, you are requesting mail straight from the mail server. If you are reading large attachment, you will experience slow performance as it need to download the mail attachment from the server before it can be show to you.