Some of you might feel very frustrated whenever you can’t open your attachment in Microsoft Outlook. Microsoft Outlook XP detect every attachment and lock the attachment if it feel is unsafe. (I’m not really sure what’s the standard they use to judge if attachment is safe or not). I only know they lock my attachment most of the time.
To unlock the attachment restriction in Ms Outlook, just follow the steps below:-
– Start => Run => Enter regedit
– Look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Office\ 10.0\ Outlook\ Security
– Create a new String value Level1Remove (modify if exists) and add the extension that you would like to allow for download (seperated by comma) ex: exe;jpg;gif;png
Note: These are the list of files that is normally being lock by Ms Outlook when received as e-mail attachments: “ade, adp, asx, bas, bat, chm, cmd, com, cpl, crt, exe, hlp, hta, inf, ins, isp, js, jse, lnk, mda, mdb, mde, mdz, msc, msi, msp, mst, pcd, pif, prf, reg, scf, scr, sct, shb, shs, url, vb, vbe, vbs, wsc, wsf, wsh”
Important Note: This tutorial teach you how to modify the ms windows registry. Modifying the registry can cause serious problems to your computer. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. If problem happen you need to know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. Use this tutorial at your own risk.
[tags]outlook, microsoft outlook, ms outlook, microsoft,winxp,xp,win xp,win 2k, win2k, win 2000, window 2000, window xp, microsoft window,registry,registry, tweak, tweak outlook, tune window, tune, tune win xp, email, email client[/tags]
After some experimentation, I found that although I had an 8.0, 11.0 and 12.0 directory – it was a change to Outlook\Security within the 11.0 directory that changed the behavior, and allowed me access to the attachments. And regardless of the example showing semicolons between, I used copy/paste and added the value like so:
ade, adp, asx, bas, bat, chm, cmd, com, cpl, crt, exe, hlp, hta, inf, ins, isp, js, jse, lnk, mda, mdb, mde, mdz, msc, msi, msp, mst, pcd, pif, prf, reg, scf, scr, sct, shb, shs, url, vb, vbe, vbs, wsc, wsf, wsh
And that worked like a charm.
Thanks. Now i have no issues with the attachments.
Thank you so much. I sent myself a Access database from work to work on it at home. Of course, Outlook blocked it. How frustrating that Microsoft doesn’t trust people to decide for themselves what files they want or don’t want! I just wish I found the article a bit sooner so I could have saved myself a lot of frustration. Okay, time to work on that database now… thanks again.
Thanks. It really helps.